Friday, October 14, 2011

I don't have a good title for this post...

Do you ever have one of those weeks where you think to yourself "Wow. What a week!" This has been one of those weeks.

Last Saturday I stumbled upon a great truth in the Bible that I've never seen before. When faced with the challenges of not being able to have children, I feel like I've become best friends with the women in the Bible who have walked this road. Sarah, Rachel, Hannah, Elizabeth (there are a few others). I was reading Luke 1 which says "In the days of Herod, king of Judea, there was a priest named Zechariah, of the division of Abijah. And he had a wife from the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elizabeth. And they were both righteous before God, walking blamelessly in all the commandments and statutes of the Lord. But they had no child, because Elizabeth was barren, and both were advanced in years."

Two things jump out:
1) Both Zechariah and Elizabeth were righteous before God.
2) Elizabeth was barren.

Wait, what? They were both righteous before God and they were barren. Since the first miscarriage with Peter there has been an indescribable amount of guilt that I had done something wrong. Perhaps I did something to lose the baby, maybe God was angry at me for doing such and so in the past, was I disobedient in some way? When Faith and Eve also passed away, this struggle continued. "Does God hate me? Why does he hate me? I feel so unloved. Is such and so a better, more spiritual person than I am that they are blessed with children and I'm barren?" Drug addicts are having children left and right, I'm not. I have watched many people go through their entire pregnancies and in some cases have had a multiple pregnancies, and then there's me... Still in the same trial. When the adoption placement failed these thoughts were even more prominent.

They were righteous, they were barren. Eurkea! Barreness is a struggle and a trial, but it isn't because God hates me. It is quite the opposite. He is purifying and showing both of us that He is sufficient and faithful when things do not make a lick of sense. And, nothing makes sense right now. From the outside, we must look like we are completely dysfunctional and have a giant bad luck magnet over us. But, truthfully we are learning joy and how to trust God in an incredible way.

Recently we had the opportunity to pursue a potential match. Waiting for the answer is like waiting for a pregnancy test to turn positive, except with a degree of insanity. We found out this morning, after waiting 9 days, they had chosen another couple because they were Methodist and had another child. It makes you wonder if there's something wrong with you, but that isn't thinking on what is true. Evidentally, God picked this Methodist family for this child. We want what God wants for us. Our agent did say that we are her #1 priority in being placed. She's an amazing woman who's heart is of gold.

Without a doubt, this story is so much bigger than just Robert & Darbi. This child that is coming into our lives has such a crazy story being written. A story of God's love for us, His love for adoption, and His love for His people. This isn't just about our child or our adoption. It is about Him.

I won't lie. Things are still a struggle. I hate baby showers more than ever. Being around pregnant women is still difficult (although I'm trying very hard to be). It's so difficult to wait. It's sucks to have an empty nursery. But, as much as I struggle, I have to constantly remind myself that God is still good even my circumstances are crazy.

In 6 days we are celebrating our 4th anniversary. It's been a wild 4 years (half of which has been in this trial) and honestly I wouldn't change it for anything. Robert, you never cease to amaze me.

As always, we covet your prayers and thank God for all of you.

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Darbi, you and Robert are on my prayer list. I have not forgotten you even though I do not see you or talk to you anymore. Thank you for sharing. I love you, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Darbi.

    Authentic.
    Sincere.
    Real.
    Transparent.

    YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds to me like maybe you need more time to heal from infertility. Adoption is NOT a bandaid for Infertility. It NEEDS to be your 1st choice and if you are not there yet maybe that is why God is giving you extra time waiting. Pray about that. Have you thought about taking a year off to heal and move forward before starting the adoption process. We actually took 3 years between when we stopped doing treatments (didn't really get that far with those though as I really didn't think it was worth what it does to the body) and this was a HUGE blessing. I came to the conclusion that I wanted a child and it did not matter to me if that child was biologically related to me. I wanted the child God had made for me. I know this is not what you want to hear (and I really wish I could say what you want to hear) but I have seen to many couples jump into adoption too soon only to not be fulfilled by it and to still long for that biological child.

    When you can go to a baby shower and be happy for that mom-to-be and see yourself as a waiting PAP the same as her with her big belly, THEN you will be ready to adopt. Pray about it. God will give you that peace and prepare you to REALLY enjoy and experience adoption the same (or more) than a pregnancy! I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jessica,

    I appreciate your words and your advice. The hatred of baby showers stems from the grief of not having any living children yet (whether biological or adoptive). I had never thought of it as a being "pregnant" vs. "adoption", but as a painful reminder of intense grief and such a powerful longing to bring my baby home. We have a room full of things that we prepared for our baby and it sits there empty for the time being. It's a reminder of losing 4 (including our failed placement). The failed adoption felt like another miscarriage in many ways.

    Adoption is not our "substitute" plan for biological children. It isn't our backup plan or plan B. It is not a bandaid for infertility because we aren't infertile (not trying to be tactless in saying that). Medically, I'm being treated for a blood disorder which in essence caused my body to clot & cut off blood flow to the fetus. We also had a complicated pregnancy with Eve which resulted in having to wait for a year ttc. The Dr's anticipate healthy pregnancies from this point on.

    We pursued adoption knowing full well that we would be able to try again biologically. Having a family is our first choice in whatever way the Lord sees fit for us.

    ReplyDelete