Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Culture of Adoption

I thought I'd sneak in a post while waiting on Robert to continue his series. We have had a few really busy weeks.

So this is a post that I've been percolating on for a while. Yes, percolating is what coffee does but my brain feels so full these days that it takes a while for anything to steep in. In the last several months the Lord has been working on my heart in so many different ways. This is one of many lessons. Many of you may not know that I have not had the best church experiences. The last time I left a church I was so depressed and bitter that I went into therapy and was on anti depressant's for 4 years.

Growing up in Ocala, my sister was best friend's with a girl named Debbie during high school. Eventually they lost touch. Through the Lord's grace (and a newspaper article), Debbie and my sister were reconnected in Pinellas county. Debbie & Steve felt the Lord leading them to attend Lakeside. After they attended for a while Debbie invited me to try it out because I had been looking for a new church for a year or so. I had tried out several and got so frustrated that was about to give up going to church all together. I came one Sunday around July 4, 2005. I knew this church was different but it has taken me 6 1/2 years to figure out why.

What I am only beginning to see is that this is my family. These people the work of Christ on earth, his hands and feet (and elbow joints too). After the first three miscarriages I struggled so much with going to church. My emotions were so raw.

After Eve, people brought meals because of the surgery. Erin sat with me one night and just listened to my broken heart. She also brought chocolate and a candle holder (two things I love!!!). Danielle came over with food and cried with me. Tiffany was on the other end of the phone while I sobbed hysterically. And, so many people sent cards (which I still have and treasure).

After the adoption failed & losing my job, Keri-Rose became my protector especially when Robert wasn't there. Melanie was my encourager. And there are countless people who prayed for us. Dear friends took us away for the weekend which kept me sane.

After this last miscarriage (we are still working on a name), people brought us meals and listened to us talk about our precious baby. Two sweet people sent us away to the Safety Harbor Spa for Robert's birthday. We are so grateful for that trip as well because that's when I realized how much I love the people at our church. How humbling because we do not deserve anything. When we were our weakest with nothing to give others came around us to carry the burden.

There are many more people and stories but then this would turn into a book.  

This whole adoption has been difficult, but it has opened my eyes to see that those who have cared for us over the last two years are just as much my family as my biological family is. The church, especially our Sunday school, has been the groundwork of what our adoption is all about.

It still isn't the easiest thing for me to be social (part of it is due to being hard of hearing) and I'm relearning social etiquette and how to talk to people. But, for the most part people have been so understanding and love me for who I am a broken and weak person who only because of the grace of God is there anything good in me.

Please keep praying for us as we are nearing the end of the pregnancy we have approximately 12.5 weeks to go. Satan is attacking at every chance to discourage us. Please pray for the health of our birthmother, for protection spiritually, and that we will glorify the Lord in all things. This is a heavy burden that we cannot lift alone.

With all my love,
Darbi







No comments:

Post a Comment