Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Learning contentment

I'm not one that often reads into "signs" from the Lord. This past week the Lord has definitely been trying to say something. Two major things have happened. One, I saw a piece of paper with the headline "It's time to take the next step". The second thing was a very frightening and potentially dangerous situation. Both of which the Lord is using to teach me absolute obedience and trust in Him. I'm still not sure what is next for us in our present situation. We are still waiting on blood tests which will probably lead to more testing. We are waiting daily for Him to reveal His will. We are learning to lay down everything at His feet so that we will be dependent on Him alone. Why? Because God alone is worthy of our absolute devotion. He is Holy, Perfect, and Righteous amongst so many other things. There is nothing in this world that could ever compare to knowing God in His glory.

When Robert & I went to Resolved this past summer (www.resolved.org), C.J. Mahaney (an amazing pastor) gave a message titled "Called to Contend for Christ". He told us that we are going to be going through valleys in life & there will be difficult trials ahead. What make all the difference in how we respond to our trials, is what we are waiting for. We are waiting for the mercy of the Lord that leads to eternal life (Jude 20). Every day on this earth we are one step closer to Heaven's Gates. We are one step closer to the end of our journey. I used to be so scared of Heaven. Our journey this past year makes me long for heaven. I long to see God's glory in its entirety. But, we are here now and I pray that our present trials point back to God who is "most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him" (John Piper).

One more thing... We do still grieve for our children but we don't grieve as those who have no hope. Our hope is resting in our Sovereign God who is using the things of this world to show us His power and majesty. We still have a very long, hard journey ahead of us. We covet your prayers and understanding that what we are going through has been and is life changing.

We are so thankful for your love and support.

2 comments:

  1. Just read your post and was struck with something God has been using in my own heart in my life as of late. Hopefully this will be of encouragement to you and that my thoughts will be clear. :)

    James 1:2 "Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trails..."

    So often I've heard through the years to remember that this passage says "when" and not "if". Which clearly indicates that the trials are to be expected, especially in life as a Christian. And I agree with this, however, I think we need to take it a step further. If the trials are to be expected, and seem to come ever so often and with much refining of our souls, shouldn't we think of trials as the "normal" way of life and the seasons of life without trials as "abnormal"? I think in this line of thought we see a greater view of the glorious grace of our awesome God! Thus turning our affections towards heaven and an eternity with Him! :)

    There it is. My thought. Been pondering it a lot lately. BTW, 246 (enter giant smile here!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is awesome that the Lord is teaching you all so much and in turn teaching us all through you. Even though I have lost people I love in another context, I know one never stops remembering or missing someone you lost, but like you said, the Lord really helps you to press on in growth in Him and use the grieving process to grow you, help others and glorify Him. Thank you both for being willing to be used of Him.

    ReplyDelete